Monday, November 17, 2014
Friday, November 14, 2014
Join Thursday, December 4 from 6-7 pm as we discuss the Magic Treehouse Book, A Ghost Tale for Christmas Time by Mary Pope Osborne. We will have a relaxed discussion, a craft and snacks to enjoy.
Please register online
If you have any questions contact Miss Angie at firstname.lastname@example.org
Saturday, November 8, 2014
The name of the book being recommended: Neighborhood Sharks by Katherine Roy
Please give us five reasons why this book is awesome:
1. It's about sharks! The subject matter is awesome in and of itself!
2. It has beautifully illustrated paintings of sharks and their surrounding environment.
3. The textual material and accompanying diagrams are informative and incorporate the latest research into sharks' life cycle and hunting habits--if you're not a shark researcher or a close follower of the subject, you'll probably learn a lot (that goes for adults as well as kids)!
4. The book's depictions of a shark hunting are accurate (aka, lots of blood!) without being gruesome.
5. It offers ample "food" for thought to ponder the place of sharks vs. humans in the world beyond the confines of horror movies. To quote the book, "While their 800,000 human neighbors dine on steak, salad, and sandwiches, the white sharks hunt for their favorite meal." And the book clearly shows that sharks' favorite (or at least most typical) meal is not humans.
How can I find this book in the library? It can be found in the Children's Department, in non-fiction, under the call number j 597.33 R.