Monday, January 28, 2013
The American Library Association has just announced the 2013 winners of the Caldecott and Newberry Medals! And they are.....
This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen (jE KLA)
The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (j APP)
For more information on the Caldecott and Newberry Awards, including the lists of Honor books for 2013, please visit www.ala.org.
Thursday, January 24, 2013
It's a B(est) F(riends) F(orever) Party! Celebrate the love you have for your best friend or sibling by signing up for our event. A casual dinner of cheese pizza and beverages will be served, then all of the besties will gather for bonding activities and games.
The BFF Party will be on Thursday, February 14 from 6:00-7:00 pm, and is open to participants ages 6 and older.
Registration is required, and is limited to 44 participants. You can register in person or by calling us at 610.688.7092 x210 during our hours of operation. Please register only one child per line so we have an accurate count.
Thursday, January 10, 2013
The name of the book being recommended: Delicious: The Life & Art of Wayne Thiebaud by Susan Goodman Rubin
Please give us five reasons why this book is awesome:
1. FANTASTIC artwork! A feast for the eyes.
2.The perfect title. Thiebaud loves food, especially desserts. Not only does he enjoy eating cakes, pies, and cupcakes, he also paints pictures of them, and he paints mostly from his childhood memories of them. His mother would set up art projects for Wayne and his sister on rainy days while she cooked and baked. They are, indeed, delicious.
3. While still in high school, Thiebaud landed a job as a cartoonist at Walt Disney Studios. He became so skilled that he can draw Popeye with both hands at the same time.
4. He not only paints colorfully, he dresses colorfully. One of his students, commenting on his purple corduroy jacket and green bow tie, said, "He was just what I thought an artist should look like."
5.Thiebaud takes ordinary things and paints them in extraordinary ways, making you see them with new eyes. "I try to find things to paint which I feel have been overlooked." WT
Where can I find this book in the library? It can be found in the Children's Department under the call number j 759.13 T, and will be enjoyed by readers in grades 3+ (and by adults, too!).
Picture Book: Traction Man is Here!
Author: Mini Grey
Five Reasons Why This Book is Awesome:
1. Finally, a picture book action figure who stands up for Truth, Justice, and the British (?) Way!
2. Traction Man manages to turn a variety mundane situations, such as washing dishes and taking a bath, into heroic rescues of household objects and toys.
3. He has an adorable sidekick-slash-pet named Scrubbing Brush.
4. One of the Library of Congress subject headings of the book is "Brooms and Brushes--Fiction"
5. It offers an ingenious way to transform ugly knitted Christmas coveralls into fashionable swim gear, all without compromising your heroism.
Saturday, January 5, 2013
Picture Book: Previously
Author: Allan Ahlberg
Five Reasons Why this Book is Cool:
-Naturally, obviously, certainly we all need know what our favorite fairy tale friends were up to previously...
-Who knew that prior to her break-in at the Three Bears' house Goldilocks had been keeping time with Jack of beanstalk fame?
-Beanstalk Jack is sister of Jill, those two climbers of the hill!?!
-Did you know that in an effort to escape baking, the Gingerbread Boy bumped into Cinderella herself and that once upon a time all of these fairy tale hall-of-famers were babies just like you and me!
-Funky and great artwork by Bruce Ingman combined with Ahlberg's cheerful, fun, and so funny prose make Previously delightfully good.
Stop, Drop, and Roll! Indeed! Friendly Radnor Firefighters visited
our library on Thursday dazzling the crowd with their protective gear,
fire safety words of wisdom, and get-to-know-you high fives. Following
the presentation, children enjoyed exploring the fire truck and ambulance
outside providing great action photos for enthusiastic grown-ups.
Thursday, January 3, 2013
This interactive movie experience was a hit!!