Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Luck of the Buttons

There are two things I wanted to do after completing my Week 2 Summer Reading book, The Luck of the Buttons. First, I wanted to bob my hair, and second, I wanted to watch The Music Man, another story about a fast-talkin' salesman coming to a small Iowa town and shaking things up a bit.

(But, really, I've wanted to cut my hair into a bob for about a month now. I can't really lay all of that at author Anne Ylvisaker's door.)

I think what I liked best about this story is how the main character, Tugs Button, decides that she isn't defined by her family. They're not bad people, but she wants something different for herself.

But a very close runner-up to what I liked best was the way the Buttons eat pie when life throws them some bad luck. (Which is often.) Speaking quite personally here, that's my kind of family.

More next week, when I tackle my Week 3 book: Dear Anjali.

No comments:

Post a Comment