Friday, September 9, 2011

Meet Books In Brief Reviewer Michele Bolay


Michele has been a part of the Tredyffrin family for over 20 years. She works at the children's checkout and reference desks, purchases picture books, folklore, graphics, and children's feature films, does some very mysterious things with invoices and time sheets and label makers and such, and runs our Preschool/Kindergarten and Pajama Story Times, our new Framed! A Journey in Art program, and (in the summer) our Kids Talk Books reading group.

Hi, Michele! What are your favorite genres and subjects to read about?
I'm a sucker for good storytelling, especially if it has a happy ending or makes me laugh. My favorite genres are general fiction, mystery, humor, folklore, history, sociology, psychology, and the arts, but I have been known to pick up a fantasy novel if it is folkloric in tone and/or features time travel to the past. In adult fiction, I also enjoy historical romance, but I'm very picky; the writing has to be top-notch. I'm also a BIG fan of audio books.

Besides reading, what are your other hobbies and interests?
I participate in a local theater (acting, directing, designing costumes), where I also serve on the Board of Directors. That takes up a lot of my free time, but I also try to squeeze in some volunteering and movies and museums and flea markets and travel, and I love the opportunity to be outside appreciating nature. Just not in the summer....

What are you good at?
Singing. Research. Organizing things and people. Friendship. Being a goofy nerd. And I have very nice handwriting.

What would you like to be better at?
Housecleaning. Cooking. Riding my bicycle more regularly. Keeping cats off of my desk when I'm trying to work. And I bought a ukulele about six months ago and still haven't learned how to play the thing. There are too many good books waiting to be read!

To find reviews and recommendations by Michele, simply click on her name in our "Contributors" list on the right, or search for the label "Michele."

No comments:

Post a Comment