Monday, November 26, 2012

Books in Brief: Lemony Snicket returns!

Who Could That Be At This Hour?Who Could That Be At This Hour? by Lemony Snicket
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

First things first. This is not A Series of Unfortunate Events.

That being said, it is the first in a series, and there are some events that could be called unfortunate. (The near-drowning comes instantly to mind...) In this noir-flavored detective story, a young Lemony Snicket is trying to get to the bottom of a mystery of an odd wooden statue in a nearly deserted ink industry town.

I'm a huge Snicket fan from way back, and I was pleased to see elements of the previous series - defining potentially tricky vocabulary words, a love of reading and libraries, etc. - appear in this volume. Other highlights for me included the bickering police couple and the clever system Lemony devises to communicate with his partner in the city.

The plot didn't really grab me until about halfway through, but when it did, I was ready for the next book in the series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment