We learned a lot about dinosaurs and fossils in our STEM Story Time. If you missed the program and are interested in making your own dirt play dough the recipe is provided below.
I had a lot of fun making this and it smells chocolately good. Just don't eat it!!
2 1/2 C flour
1/2 C cocoa ( more for kneading)
1 1/2 C salt
2 T cream of tartar
3 C water
3 T oil
1. Mix dry ingredients then add the wet in a heavy bottomed, large saucepan.
2. Stir constantly over medium heat. It will be soupy for awhile then it will turn sticky and form a ball.
3. When it gets to the ball stage you can keep mixing by hand or do what I did and transfer to your Kitchen Aid mixer and mix using the bread dough attachemnt. (Saved my poor weak arms)
4. Next turn the hot ball of dough on a surface lightly floured with cocoa. Knead until no longer sticky.
5. Have fun with your dirt play dough. You can store this in zip-lock bags or other air tight container. I made the batches for our program 2 weeks ago and they have been stored in zip-lock bags and they are still fresh for playing and creating.