The name of the book being recommended: Sophie's Squash by Pat Zietlow Miller & Anne Wilsdorf
Please give us five reasons why this book is awesome:
1. It's a charming story about a girl who saves a squash from being served for family dinner, and adopts it as a pet.
2. It's based on a true story! The author's daughter once fell in love with a squash.
3. Who needs a boring goldfish when you can have an exciting squash?
4. There's a twist ending, after the girl gives the squash a nice outdoor dirt bed for the winter.
5. The squash resembles an even cuter version of the "Biting Pear of Salamanca," by fellow children's author/illustrator Ursula Vernon:
How can I find this book in the library? It can be found in the Children's Department, in picture book fiction, under the call number jE MIL.