Friday, March 15, 2013

The Great Monthly Museum Challenge!



All right, now I am accountable to you all.....

There are so many great museums in the Philadelphia area*. I have visited most of them, but it has been a long time since I even did that. My last museum day was at the Delaware Art Museum in Wilmington (one of my faves, more about that one later), and I remember it was a REALLY hot day, in the 100s, an asphalt-melting day, so it must have been last summer or even late last spring. Because last year we were apparently living on the surface of the sun. Before that.....I can't even remember....maybe 2010?

Anyway, it's time to start enjoying the enriching experiences that our area has to offer, many of which are FREE, more often. So I will be blogging after each museum visit. I'll post my reactions, let you know what special exhibits are going on, tell you what kids might like, and include links to the museum's kids' page (if they have one) and the main page. If photography is permitted, I'll also post some pictures, both here and in our Pinterest account. Most will be museums that focus on fine art, but some will be of historical, cultural, or literary interest instead.

Hey, speaking of art, the spring session of our popular FRAMED: A Journey in Art drawing and painting class filled up super fast, and the waiting list is long enough that we are adding a second class on Tuesday evenings from 7:00-7:45. It will be in the same format as the afternoon class. There are still a few spaces left in this second class. In order to register, click here. Your child MUST be in grades K-3 and, because each weekly class builds upon the one prior, s/he will need to be available for the full spring session (March 26 - May 21). We will not be adding a third class.

*The museum pictured is not in the Philadelphia area, btw. It is the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum in Glasgow, Scotland, and one of my favorites. Unfortunately, my proposal to have the library send me on an all-expenses-paid trip around the world, visiting and blogging about museums, was not accepted. But if any of you want to initiate a Kickstarter for this project on my behalf, let me know. The Kelvingrove is amazing, so if you have plans to visit Scotland, check it out. While you're there, check out the Burrell Collection, which is on the other side of town. Also amazing, and it's situated in a beautiful public park.

No comments:

Post a Comment