Friday, October 29, 2010

Road Trip Thursday - Day 6

Seeing as how Famous Illinois People Pictionary was such a hoot last week, we started this week off with Famous Missouri People Pictionary.

You'd think I'd have learned from years and years of being the worst person at the Pictionary table that I am not good at turning words into images, but I can't help myself. To me, being laughably bad at something just means you get to laugh a lot. My apologies to my road-trippers, as well as to Scott Joplin, Ryan Howard, and Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Our snack for the day was iced tea and cookies. Legend has it that iced tea was invented at the World's Fair held in St. Louis in 1904, but many sources, including our book for the week - Meet Me in St. Louis : A Trip to the 1904 World's Fair - say that iced tea was probably already in existence before the fair. Still, all agree that the drink is probably as popular as it is today thanks in part to the 1904 World's Fair.

After the World's Fair, we pulled up our chairs to watch part of a video about the Gateway Arch, right in downtown Saint Louis, Missouri. Did you know that at 630 feet, the arch is the tallest man-made arch in the world, and that it's over twice as tall as the Statue of Liberty?

(Neither did we.)

We wrapped up our day by looking ahead to next week, when we visit Tennessee - home to Vanderbilt University, the Great Smoky Mountains, and the Tennessee Titans.

(To me, though, it'll always be Graceland.)

See you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment