Friday, September 28, 2012

Books in Brief: Meet Caroline

Meet CarolineMeet Caroline by Kathleen Ernst
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I had never read any of the American Girl books, but when I discovered that the latest adventures were set in my old stomping grounds - Sackets Harbor, New York - I had to check it out.

In addition to being a charming place to have Sunday brunch, this small lakeside town played an important role during the War of 1812, which is the conflict that is just beginning as we meet Caroline Abbott, a young girl who dreams of being the captain of her own ship someday.

Unfortunately, her dreams are put on hold when the British capture her father and attack her community. Will the town be able to defend themselves against the invasion? Will Caroline be reunited with her father? Luckily, we have five more books to find out...

Recommended for ages 7-10, fans of well-written historical adventure, or anyone who's ever walked the Sackets Harbor battlefield. (Admittedly, we might be a small crew.)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment