Wednesday, September 26, 2012

E-books vs. print: How do you prefer to read together with kids?

My niece is three years old. My sister has always surrounded her with books - board books, cloth books, picture books, and lately, e-book apps. The last time they came for a visit, I was treated to a reading of The Monster at the End of This Book, courtesy of my sister's iPhone.

Was I impressed that my niece, who was still learning to how put on her own shoes, could open and navigate a smartphone app? For sure! Was it a good adaptation of the story, one of my own childhood favorites? Absolutely! Do I love the sound of Grover's voice? Obviously!

But I'd still rather have had the print version in front of me.

Credit: Joan Ganz Cooney Center
That I prefer print books to e-books is not a shocker; I still have a pen pal (with whom I correspond in pen) and will always choose a paper map over GPS. (Always.) 

But, according to The Joan Ganz Cooney Center, the majority of iPad owners surveyed in their recent study also prefer print books over e-books when reading together with their children. (Here are some other findings of the study, summed up nicely by School Library Journal.)

I confess to being a little surprised by this.

How do you prefer to read together with kids, and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment